Tuesday, August 24, 2010

(Short) Retro Review: Kid Icarus


Ok, don't have a lot of time but I promised not to skip my next post so this is gonna kinda be a short review. Alright so I got this game at my local Play N' Trade... or uh actually the guy who owned that one store dropped the franchise and decided, so I got it from "Game Store Video Games" and I seriously wish I was kidding about the name of the store. Anyway, it took me forever to get the damn thing working but when I finally did I seriously couldn't put the controller down, I actually stayed up an extra hour then I usually when I had to wake up really early the next day just to keep playing. The game is kind of like a mix of Metroid, Castlevania, and Ice Climbers, if that makes any sense... I say that it's like Metroid because... Well, honestly I don't know besides the fact that the music kinda sounds like Metroid... sometimes, but I just get this weird Metroid vibe when I play the game. I say it's like Castlevania because I'm running around killing demons and collecting hearts, you could argue that maybe that could remind you of several games, but you know what, this game has enemies that remind of those freakin Medusa Heads from Castlevania 3 so that could also be it. But for the most part, I saw this game as Ice Climbers with a longer range weapon, your movement is a little less "stale" I guess, I kind of don't know how to put it, it's like if you compare the character movements of Ice Climbers with an old Megaman game, in that situation Kid Icarus is basically the Megaman game. It uses a kind of long password system which kind of pisses me off, especially since the game for me still has a few minor graphical glitches (this is obviously just MY cartridge of the game, not every cartridge in existance) and since I can't really tell the difference between some of the letters I just end up getting the passwords wrong anyway. But besides that, this game is awesome, super addicting, and totally worth the $18 I spent on it... I just wish that I could find DuckTales now...

No comments:

Post a Comment