Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Top 5 Higurashi (When They Cry) Story Arcs


Ok this is going to be a list of the 5 best Higurashi arcs from the first anime series (no naku koro ni), you know the one that actually got a dub, well the new box set came out a few days ago and I'm in the Higurashi mood after finishing the series today. As most Higurashi fans know there are 6 arcs in the first Higurashi series so one arc will be left out. Oh and obviously this list contains MAJOR SPOILERS and if you haven't seen Higurashi yet then I advise that you don't read this list.

5. Cotton Drifting Arc
Well I have to say, I liked this arc just not really as much as the others, I know that it introduced Shion and all but there was just something about it that I didn't like. Maybe it's the fact that it's a question arc right after a question arc and so now you don't know which one really happened and if you'll get the answers to all the questions these arcs bring up, but despite me not liking it as much as the others, I have to admit that it had alot of comedic scenes and seeing Rena as one of the good guys as well as a damn good detective was just pretty awesome. I really don't have much to say about this arc, but despite it being number 5 on the list, I think it's still worth checking out.

4. Spirited Away by the Demon Arc
Ahhh yes the first arc, this one is really good because it starts out so nice and happy then just curves down and gets brutal and gory. It basically sets an example for the rest of the series by sort of showing you what life in Hinamizawa is like. It sort of still confuses me about how the doctor was somehow involved in all of that business. It's also probably the only arc to feature the photographer guy for more than 1 small scene. In short it was a really good way to kick off the series and just makes you want to keep watching to see if all of the questions you had from the ending of the arc get answered.

3. Curse Killing Arc
Wow, the Curse Killing Arc, there were so many scenes to remember here, like the part when Keiichi falls of that bridge or when he goes crazy and the doctor tries to put drugs in his coffee. Either way this arc is probably the one that Keiichi gets pushed to the limit of insanity all the way and then even further, that's the main reason I like this arc, because he went crazy in the previous arcs but in this one, oh wow. And the strange thing is that this isn't the only arc that Satoko's uncle dies, I suppose that the writer hates that bastard so much that he does the audience a favor and kills him off more than once. That aside the scene where Satoko had to count to 1,000 in the bath tub kind of confused and disturbed me. Anyway, this arc shows that when you murder people for someone else's sake they usually tend to shun you and you kind of get what you deserve, just like how I imagine that after the ending of School Days the police catch Kotonoha.

2. Eye Opening Arc
Remember how I said I didn't like the Cotton Drifting Arc, well I LOVE it's answer arc. This arc is sort of split into two, giving us backstory on Satoshi and telling us about the Cotton Drifting Arc from Shion's point of view. It also throws in a ton of twists and give us the huge fact that *omg major spoiler* apperantly the Sonozaki Family has nothing to do with Oyashiro-sama's curse. However it also has some of the most disturbingly gory parts of Higurashi, like the fingernail scene and the Satoko death scene, but also gives more information on Mion's (or Shion's as the arc tells us) actions and for some reason alot of tazering. It also makes me wonder about the ending of the Cotton Drifting arc becuase in the ending of this arc both Mion and Shion are dead.

1. Atonement Arc
Oh man I love this arc so much, from the water gun fight in the very begining to the epic showdown in the end this arc is just pure awesome. It gives more info on things like where Rika stands on the Oyashiro-sama thing to what Oyashiro-sama's curse really is, and even the REAL reason Keiichi moved to Hinamizawa, the only thing it doesn't answer is who the one commiting the murders of Oyashiro-sama's curse is. And in this arc it's Rena who goes more insane than anyone, trying to figure more about the curse and eventually taking hostages to try to get the police to investigate more. This arc is just insanely awesome and is definatly number 1 of all of the arcs in the first anime series.

Well that was my top 5 list of Higurashi arcs and if you have seen Higurashi before then you know that I left out the Wasting Time Arc, but believe me it was good, I was having trouble trying to think which arc I liked better between Wasting Time and Cotton Drifting and chose Cotton Drifting. Remember I post every other day so check in for more posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment