Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wonderswan Color First Impressions/Short Review (FINALLY)


Ok, after waiting a crap ton of time for my Wonderswan and keeping it a bit of a secret here, it is finally in and the secret is out. For those of you who don't know what a Wonderswan is, it was basically Bandai's response to the Gameboy. I'm guessing that since Bandai owned a lot (yes, I realise that up until today I have been using a lot as one word and I just now caught my mistake... so shut up...) of famous anime at the time, or at least I'm pretty sure they did, then maybe they thought they would have a broader appeal in Japan alone what with anime not being as popular in America yet, which could be why they only released it in Japan but that is just my guess. Anyway, since it is a Bandai system there are plenty of licenced anime games for it, however, only one of the games I bought with it was licenced. Since I wanted to do a little review of the system I figured that if I wanted to buy two games with it, I would get a color game and a black & white game and I wanted to get a licenced anime game and just a regular game, so the two games I got were Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (probably the main reason I wanted a Wonderswan in the first place) and One Piece: Swan Colosseum (this is the color game). And so far, I actually like both, but if I had to choose right now one to play more of, I would say Klonoa, not because the One Piece game is bad, certainly not that, it's just that I haven't gotten used to the controls and whatnot yet so I'm sure it'll get addicting once I get the hang of it, but until then, Moonlight Museum is so far just like the first gameboy game so I really like, but we'll see how challenging those puzzles get later on in the game. Oh, also I scored this system and these games for pretty cheap, I got em on eBay from... hmmm... what was his name? I think it was game agora... or maybe there was an underscore between the words (like this game_agora) or something, I don't remember. Ok now let's get to the interface... or whatever you call it of the system, or just basically the system itself... whatever let's just get down to it, so it is A LOT smaller then I thought it would be, I mean for some reason I was expecting it to be the size of my Gamegear, but it's like the size of a Gameboy Advance. Oh and speaking of Gamegear, it has that weird screen lighting problem the Gamegear had but to a lesser extent with Klonoa, I guess that's because it is just a regular Wonderswan game. Also, the buttons are a bit weird, like it has the standard b first, then a like an NES controller, but instead of a d pad with just like arrows for buttons or whatever, the d-pad buttons are x buttons, like up is x1 and down is x3, then on top of that d-pad is another one with y buttons, where up on that one is y1 and down is y3, however I am guessing that with most games you use the x d-pad since so far the two games I played used them as the d-pad. Oh and it only runs on one AA battery, I don't know how fast the batteries get drained but it only runs on one of em so that is pretty convenient. I don't know what else to say... Hmmm... I guess that's it, and so far I am loving my Wonderswan, hopefully you can begin to look forward to some Wonderswan game reviews by me in the future. Oh snap, before I end this post, I just started a level of Klonoa where the screen turns sideways and you use the x d-pad as regular controls and the y d-pad as, well, a d-pad... so forget what I said about not using the y buttons I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. Klonoa Moonlight Museum remake PSP "new Sony PSP"

    ReplyDelete