Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Favorite Gaming "Headsets"

This is in no particular order, I'm just sort of gonna talk about headsets in this post, well one of them isn't actually a headset... but you'll see what I mean by that later.


Ok so the first headset I would like to talk about is the good old wired Xbox 360 headset. This is one of my favorites because it is wired but it plugs into the controller, and since damn near every game on the 360 uses the controller (I'm saying near every game because of that Tom Clancy game that used voice commands and if that doesn't count then soon enough I can just say Natal) and the controller is wireless so it really works out. The sound quality is not AMAZINGLY AWESOME but it isn't bad in any way, I can often understand other people and they can often understand me, it is also quite user friendly and it comes with most Xbox 360 bundles if I'm not mistaken.


The next one I would like to talk about is the Official Sony Bluetooth Headset for the PS3 which I got just recently. I am gonna be honest I haven't used it yet for gaming, but I do know that the sound quality is good with my phone, which it worked with, and it charged pretty fast for a bluetooth with supposedly 8 hours of charge, if you are wondering how long exactly it takes to charge, it's about 2 hours. It was incredibly easy to sync up with my PS3 and my phone, but let me address a little issue most people have with this headset... People often complain about it being to uncomfortable in their ears, well I will admit it isn't exactly comfortable but it is nowhere near as bad as people say it is, at least for me, I mean I am a teenager with average sized ears and it really doesn't bother me that much. I had even heard a few reviews that said it was almost like the headset wasn't made for the human ear and that they couldn't stand having it in their ear for longer then 20 minutes before they had to stop playing and take a break. Then again, it could just be me, I mean it could be just fine for me but terrible for somebody else. About the design of the headset, well, the little tab you pull out for connecting it directly to your PS3, for like syncing it up the easy way and whatnot is quite difficult to put back in place. Also, there is a nice little mute mic button on the headset, and not to mention little volume buttons on the side, so it is actually pretty cool.


This is what I meant about not being a headset, and like my PS3 Bluetooth I have not used this in actual gameplay but I plan to when I finally play Monster Hunter Tri online for the first time. I would mainly like to talk about this because, like most of the peripherals Nintendo makes, the Wii Speak is very interesting and new. Basically it is a mic that picks up noise from pretty much just in the room, so instead of speaking directly into it or wearing it as a headset, you just sit sort of near it and talk while you are playing. I find this a LITTLE bit inconvenient because with a headset I could still watch TV and stuff while I play the game, as long as it isn't to loud, but with the Wii Speak I can't have any noise going on at all, I mean I can't even have my air conditioner on. But on the bright side, it does come with a little thing to attach it to your Sensor Bar, which is great for me, but if you have the Sensor Bar on the bottom of your TV it is a problem since the Wii Speak goes on the top of the TV, or like it's supposed to. Luckily the Wii Speak comes with like extra little things to stick it to your Sensor Bar or to your TV. I only know of two games so far that support the Wii Speak and those are Animal Crossing City Folk and Monster Hunter Tri, but I have yet to play Monster Hunter Tri online and everybody I played with on City Folk either didn't have one or just felt like not using it. Oh and before I end this post I forgot to mention, the Wii Speak is actually kind of cool when you have other people over because they can talk into the mic as well with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment